Summer Breeze

The first summer, at our camp on Martins Pond, Greg and I were kept busy helping with piling all of the brush into huge burn piles and stacking the blocks of wood as soon as dad cut the trees up.   On the rare occasion that Greg and I got ahead of dad we would fill our free time with fighting about one thing or another. There never seemed to be a shortage of things to fight about and anyone with a younger brother will know exactly what I am talking about.  This system of fighting to settle disagreements worked really well for me,  that is until I quit growing and Greg didn’t, but that is another story for another time.  It also irritated me to no end, especially when I was about to win yet another argument, when dad would decide that he wanted the stack of wood that Greg and I had just minutes before finished  piling  moved to another spot.  On an average weekend  Greg and I would move the same pile of wood a half a dozen times or more.

By the time the second summer rolled around though things had changed for us.  All the brush cutting, piling and burning had been done and camp had been built.  Dad and Pup, Dad’s father, did all of the building.  As strange as this may sound neither Greg nor I were allowed to pound nails or saw boards or, in the end, even touch a saw or hold a hammer.  When we did try to help with the building we always ended up pounding or sawing things we weren’t supposed to pound or saw, usually ourselves or one another.  This left us with a lot of free time,  time we ended up filling by exploring the area and discovering the wonders that lived near and around camp.
The first wonder we found was the little stream that flowed out of the woods and down past our neighbors camp and emptied into the pond.  This stream, years earlier, had earned the name Sucker Brook.  Martin’s pond was supposed to be a trout only pond but rumor had it that a few fishermen had used small suckers as live bait and somehow they escaped and flourished in this pond growing to an unbelievable size. I can still remember the excitement I felt and Greg had in his eyes when we first found this brook filled to the brim with huge fish, some reaching two feet or more in length.  It was early spring and the suckers swam up Sucker brook to spawn, something neither Greg nor I knew anything about.
Just above a slight bend in the brook there was a fairly large shallow pool which was also filled with these huge fish and just below this pool the brook narrowed and the bed  of the brook was covered with large boulders.  In no time flat Greg and I realized that we could move a few of the boulders and close off the only escape route these suckers had,  trapping them in the pool.  Moments later Greg and I had the stream damned up and we were in this shallow pool grabbing the huge fish with our bare hands and throwing them into the small field that bordered the brook.  As soon as we had emptied the pool we would move the blocking boulders go down stream and chase more fish up to the pool and then damn it up again.  This went on until mom yelled that it was time to head home.  I can’t begin to tell you how many fish we threw into the field but in my mind I can still see all the fish flopping up and down making this little clearing look alive.
The next day was Sunday and after morning chores at the family’s poultry farm we headed to camp for the afternoon. As soon as we got to camp our German Shepard, Priny,  bolted from the open car door and headed to the water to dig stones.  We have had several dogs over the years but never one that would dig stones out of the water.  Priny  would wade in the water until she found a rock and then, with her front feet,  paw at the rock until she had it in water shallow enough to stick only her nose in the water to grab the rock.  She would then carry the rock in her mouth to a special spot she had in the woods, drop the rock and then  rush back to the pond.  Greg and I on the other hand headed for Sucker Brook and  took up where we left off the day before. After a few hours though we grew tired of this game so we went looking for other adventures which took us to the shoreline in front of our camp.
Much of the shoreline around Martins Pond dropped off at an alarming rate but in front of our camp it was a gradual slope out to deeper water.  It wasn’t long before Greg and I discovered that, hiding under many of the rocks on shore were crawdads,  the fresh water version of lobsters, only a little smaller. We kept a five gallon pail in front of camp and with smaller buckets went up and down the waters edge turning over rocks and grabbing the crawdads, being careful to stay out of the way of their big pinchers.   In about a half an hour we had the five gallon pail almost half full of huge crawdads.  Every ten to fifteen minutes we would hear a kid scream in pain,  that was our youngest brother Dean about three or four years old at the time.  He would be standing by the pail, shaking his hand as fast as he could, with a big old crawdad hanging off one of his fingers.  We got a lot of dirty looks from mom that summer,  but both Greg and I were confident Dean would figure out where not to grab these crawdads sooner or later.  It turned out to be later.  
We also found out that bloodsuckers called this shoreline home. We did not take this news well, especially me when I found that I had over fifty of the little buggers, something I affectionately called them,  on one foot and leg.  After mom ran me down she decided that she would burn them off with her cigarette,  I didn’t take that news very well either.  Thank god dad said he had heard that salt worked just as well and without the side effect of a bunch of burn marks.  
The following weekend was our weekend off from doing chores at the poultry farm.  On alternating weekends Dad, Greg and I would do the chores on the farm giving Pup and the hired man a day off so every other weekend was considered camp weekend.  This was also the weekend that the Foss family spent at our camp.  Frank and Evelyn (Evie) were my parents closest friends so they along with their five kids they would spend every weekend possible at Martins.  Frank was a plumber by trade and it was because of him that camp got finished as soon as it did.  Three of Frank and Evie’s kids were very close in age to us three boys.  The two older girls, Sharon and Maxine, were each one year younger than Greg and I and their son, Brian,  was one year older than Dean.  They also had a couple of younger girls but how much younger I could not tell you.
Early Saturday afternoon, when we arrived at camp, instead of bolting for the pond like Priny normally did she circled around the car and headed out on a dead run.  We were so excited to be in at camp and anxious to get in the water that we didn’t pay any attention to her. So as soon as we had the car unloaded Greg and I made tracks for the water each carrying a bucket.  It wasn’t long before the Foss car pulled in and moments later the front of our camp was full of kids.  One of the first things Sharon and Maxine  wanted to know was why I was wearing an old pair of sneakers and high socks.  All I heard after I told them about the blood suckers was a very loud ear piercing squealing and the splashing sound of water,  that left Greg and me alone in the pond again.
That was about the time that the dog came trotting back with the hair on her back all matted down and she stood right in the middle of the crowd that had gathered to see what all the screaming was about.  Soon everyone was gagging and holding their nose and dad said “For god sake that d*** dog found something dead to roll in.”  Dad disappeared into camp and when he came out he threw a bar of soap to Greg and me and we had to wash the dog.
The rest of the day and evening went without a hitch and before we knew it,  it was time to hit the sack.   Bedroom at camp was one room which took up the entire upstairs,  there were six double beds, one single bed and a crib.  We had been in a very long hot spell so the windows in the gable ends were left open to allow what little breeze there had been to flow through.  Some time in the very early morning hours a slight breeze picked up from the upper end of the pond.  Air drifted in from the field that held a hundred or so rotting suckers and this air was just awful.  Dad yelled at Greg but Frank spoke up and said he was sure it was coming from the outside.  After breakfast Greg and I headed next door carrying shovels to bury all the fun we had the week before

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>